Punkademic The Complete Music Mastering Masterclass [TUTORIAL]
A comprehensive, approachable, and artistic method for music mastering to prepare for Spotify and other platforms.
What you’ll learn:
- Audio Mastering for fun and profit
- Professional Mastering Techniques in all styles of music
- The tools of the professional mastering engineer
- Mastering on any audio platform
- Making a track go from good to great
Students should have access to an audio production platform – either Ableton Live, Pro Tools, FL Studio, Logic, Reaper, etc. Any platform will work.
Maybe you’ve heard of mastering, and you know that it is something you should be doing to your tracks, but don’t know where to start. Maybe you know the basics, but you don’t understand the details. Maybe you know how to master a track by applying certain effects, but you don’t understand “why” it works. This class is designed to answer all of those questions and more.At the core of it, audio mastering has one simple goal: to make your music as loud and clear as possible. We want to be sure your track sounds amazing on Spotify, on your car speakers, on your earbuds, in the studio, and everywhere else. In this class we are going to go step-by-step through the complete mastering process. Giving you the how and the why of every process along the way. 100% Answer Rate! Every single question posted to this class is answered within 24 hours by the instructor. This course is “5-Star Certified” by the International Association of Online Music Educators and Institutions (IAOMEI). This course has been independently reviewed by a panel of experts and has received a stellar 5-star rating.DAWs:In this class, I’ll be using Ableton Live, but if you are not a Live user – that is totally ok! I’ve gone to great lengths to make sure this class is useful to everyone, no matter which audio platform they are working with. So if you are a Logic user, FL Studio user, Cubase user, Bitwig user, Studio One user, Pro Tools user, or anything else – it will all work. You will be able to do all of the techniques that I walk you through in any audio application. Genre:I’m best known for working with electronic music, but I’ve designed this course to be as inclusive as possible when it comes to genre. We will talk about mastering techniques for all instruments, sounds, and styles. All genres are welcome here!Topics Covered: What is mastering?Terminology (including downloadable vocabulary list)Types of mastering”The loudness wars”Genre mattersTools – the DAWLearning to read an RMS meterHow compressors workHow limiters workHow to trust your earThe pre-masterSetting up a mastering sessionReferencingEffect chains”Ringing out” frequencies Makeup gainMultiband compressionDialing in multiple compressorsUpwards compressionStereo ImagingMid/Side EQMid/Side CompressionHarmonic excitersRendering and exporting for streamingDithering Mastering your own music (special considerations)Getting gigs as a mastering engineerAnd much, much more!If you are ready to start making professional sounding tracks, this is the class that will start you on that journey. Get started today.Dr. Allen is a PhD in music, university music professor, and is a top-rated Udemy instructor – with nearly 100 courses and 350,000 students. ** I guarantee that this course is the most thorough music mastering course available ANYWHERE on the market – or your money back (30-day money-back guarantee) **Closed captions have been added to all lessons in this course.——————————————————————– Praise for Courses by Jason Allen:⇢ “It seems like every little detail is being covered in an extremely simple fashion. The learning process becomes relaxed and allows complex concepts to get absorbed easily. My only regret is not taking this course earlier.” – M. Shah⇢ “Great for everyone without any knowledge so far. I bought all three parts… It’s the best investment in leveling up my skills so far..” – Z. Palce⇢ “Excellent explanations! No more or less than what is needed.” – A. Tóth⇢ “VERY COOL. I’ve waited for years to see a good video course, now I don’t have to wait anymore. Thank You!” – Jeffrey Koury⇢ “I am learning LOTS! And I really like having the worksheets!” – A. Deichsel⇢ “The basics explained very clearly – loads of really useful tips!” – J. Pook⇢ “Jason is really quick and great with questions, always a great resource for an online class!” M. Smith—————————————————————————-
Section 1: Introduction: Welcome to the Art of Mastering
- Lecture 1 Introduction
- Lecture 2 What is Mastering?
- Lecture 3 A Note About Terminology
- Lecture 4 Software and Hardware Recommendations
- Lecture 5 Types of Mastering
- Lecture 6 Vocabulary
- Lecture 7 List of Terms and Definitions
Section 2: Mastering Theory
- Lecture 8 To Be Loud and Clear
- Lecture 9 It’s More Than Just Turning Up the Volume
- Lecture 10 The Loudness Wars
- Lecture 11 Genre Matters
- Lecture 12 The Frequency Work
- Lecture 13 Tools: The DAW
- Lecture 14 Tools: The Meter
- Lecture 15 Tools: The Compressor
- Lecture 16 Tools: The Limiter
- Lecture 17 Tools: The EQ
- Lecture 18 Tools: Your Ears
Section 3: Preparing to Master
- Lecture 19 Setting Up a Mastering Session
- Lecture 20 The Pre-Master
- Lecture 21 Inspecting the Waveform
- Lecture 22 Starting the Track
- Lecture 23 Ending the Track
Section 4: Referencing
- Lecture 24 What is a Reference Track?
- Lecture 25 Finding A Reference Track
- Lecture 26 Copyright and Reference Tracks
Section 5: The Effect Chain
- Lecture 27 Mastering Effect Chains
- Lecture 28 The Basic Mastering Effect Chain Setup
Section 6: Frequency Control: EQ
- Lecture 29 How an EQ Works
- Lecture 30 Low End Starting Points
- Lecture 31 High End Starting Points
- Lecture 32 “Ringing Out”
Section 7: Volume Control: Compression
- Lecture 33 How Compression Works
- Lecture 34 Makeup Gain
- Lecture 35 Multiband Compression
- Lecture 36 Setting up Multiband Compression
- Lecture 37 Dialing in High Frequency Compression
- Lecture 38 Dialing in Low Frequency Compression
- Lecture 39 Dialing in Mid Frequency Compression
- Lecture 40 Upwards Compression
- Lecture 41 “Ring Out” and Compare
Section 8: Maximize Control: Limiter
- Lecture 42 Using a Second Compressor?
- Lecture 43 Limiting
- Lecture 44 RMS Headroom Standards
- Lecture 45 A/B It!
- Lecture 46 Looking at our Work
Section 9: Space Control: Stereo Imaging and Mid-Side EQ
- Lecture 47 The Role of Reverb in Mastering
- Lecture 48 What is the Stereo Image?
- Lecture 49 Mid/Side EQ (MS EQ)
- Lecture 50 Izotope Ozone
- Lecture 51 Reading a Mid/Side EQ
- Lecture 52 Cleaning Up the Low End with Mid/Side EQ
- Lecture 53 Adding Shimmer with Mid/Side EQ
- Lecture 54 Mid/Side Compression
- Lecture 55 Mid/Side Compression for Stereo Width
Section 10: Additional Sweetening
- Lecture 56 Controlling The Low End (Again)
- Lecture 57 Harmonic Exciters
- Lecture 58 Dialing in Harmonic Exciters
- Lecture 59 Gut Check
- Lecture 60 Last Tweeks
Section 11: Rendering
- Lecture 61 Rendering Settings
- Lecture 62 File Type
- Lecture 63 Dither Options
- Lecture 64 To Mp3 or Not to Mp3?
- Lecture 65 File Names
Section 12: Referencing & Finishing Up
- Lecture 66 Check Your Work
- Lecture 67 Save Your Session!
- Lecture 68 Save Your Effect Chain
- Lecture 69 In-Session Mastering
- Lecture 70 Should You Master Your Own Music?
- Lecture 71 Getting Gigs as a Mastering Engineer
Section 13: Wrap Up
- Lecture 72 What Comes Next?
- Lecture 73 Thanks for Watching!
- Lecture 74 Bonus Lecture
Any and all music makers!,This is a “must have” class for anyone making music.,The goal of this class is to take your tracks and find the “missing element” that makes a good track a great track.