Samples From Mars Linn60 From Mars MULTIFORMAT
80s 8 Bit Drums Transformed by the Classic 12bit MPC
For this release, we’ve taken one of our favorite drum machines of all time (in fact, it’s the drum machine that started it all for Samples From Mars) and recorded it into one of our favorite samplers, the MPC60.
The original drum machine is composed of classic, 80s 8 bit percussion and sounds incredible. It’s such a big sound often it needs to be EQd to fit in a mix. Think: Human League, Prince, 80s Boogie, early hip hop, disco and more.
By sampling the machine through the MPC, we crunched the sound up even further through the 60’s 12bit converters, recording at different levels (some clipped, some not clipped). We also re-pitched every drum voice in the MPC, which lends its unique tuning / aliasing to the original drum machine sounds, giving them a completely new characteristic: gritty, punchy, and grainy.
The Recording Process
First, we took the original drum machine and sampled every voice cleanly into the MPC. With tuning functions for the Side Stick, Snare, Toms & Congas, we recorded multiple pitches into the MPC. We also opened the drum machine up, and by switching Eproms around, were able to change the tuning for a bunch of other drum voices as well (Bass Drum, Clap, Cabasa and more).
Then, we did a round of processed hits into the MPC, utilizing gear like the SPL transient designer (in parallel) on the clap to make it way punchier. We also employed some tube gear, API and Thermionic EQ, slight SSL compression, and various saturators.
Next, we trimmed all of the samples in the MPC, and recorded 19 MPC tunings (the max available) for every drum voice, directly from the MPC to tape, and finally through Apogee Symphony conversion.
The result is a cool collection of 80s 8 bit drums transformed by the classic 12bit MPC. Huge toms, early 80s cowbells, classic claps, fat snares, warm kicks, gritty rims, and more. Available for a limited time only, so grab it before it returns to Mars forever!
- 1168 24bit WAV Linn60 Samples
- 8 pre-made 16x hit kits for instant jamming
- Classic 80s drum machine hits including: Bass Drum, Snare, Claps, Congas, Cabasa, Tambourine, Cowbell, and more
- All drums sampled and re-pitched extensively into the MPC60
- Clean versions of all sounds
- Additional hardware processing for punch, saturation and analog color
- Ableton includes (1) master drum rack containing all samples, and (8) pre-made kits racks
- Kontakt, Logic, & Reason include: (15) individual hit instruments, and (2) kits instruments
- Maschine, Battery & FL Studio include: 8 pre-made kits
- MPC1000 & MPC2500 include: 8 pre-made kits on 2 MPC Programs
- 209 MB Unzipped
- Any 24 bit WAV Compatible DAW or Sampler
- Ableton Live 9.7+ (Not Intro)
- Kontakt 5.6.5+ (Not Kontakt Player)
- Logic 9+
- Maschine 2+
- Reason 8+
- Battery 4.1.5+
- FL Studio 20.8+
- MPC1000 or MPC2500